Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Random Acts


A random cute guy steps up to get his change from Surjit at the 76 station window: 3 fives and a quarter. "Add this to the fund," he says and slides the quarter back through the tray toward the massive expanse of my change that has taken over the counter. Surjit has already counted 8 of the 10 dollars I brought in my ziplock bag, which I counted earlier this morning to be precisely $10, and of which I refused to lose $0.98 to the coin count machine at Albertson's for a service charge. (If I had, by the way, agreed to buy one of the offered gift cards with my change, the machine would've counted my money for free, but being that they are my last $10 until Friday, I was not willing to lose even that .098 on the dollar.).

Ah, Simi Valley. Where the kindness of strangers reaches out as freely as the rays of sunshine through my second-story bedroom window. I am thankful today to be living in such a friendly place, where a random act of kindness from Random Cute Guy wearing an FBI t-shirt and a smile is surpassed only by the sweetness of Surjit who, when I apologized for bringing him a bag of coins, leaned in and said to me, "That's ok - everyone's broke right now."

In the spirit of this blog's title, I have selected a 'random' line from the book of Acts (the biblical Acts of the Apostles). I've chosen chapter 8 (my pump #) and verse 10 (the dollar amount of my bill), just for fun. I think it has relevance, or maybe it is just truly random. You can decide: All of them, from the least to the greatest, paid attention to him, saying, "This man is the 'Power of God' that is called 'Great.'" (Acts of the apostles, 8:10).

Or, perhaps, we'll go with chapter 10, verse 25 (my bill after Random Cute Guy's contribution), which reads, "When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and, falling at his feet, paid him homage." Well, that doesn't really say much of anything, so let's throw in the next line: "Peter, however, raised him up, saying, 'Get up. I myself am also a human being.'"

Aren't we all? Some much more than others.

Thanks, guys.

Peace,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment